Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Communicating Effectively

This week we were provided with a multimedia program that had one message delivered three different ways: written, voicemail, and face-to-face. We were to read/listen to each message and jot down our interpretation of them and what changed from one form to the next. Below is what I thought about the different deliveries.

In the e-mail message, my interpretation was that Mark was holding a very important puzzle piece to the project and Jane needed that in order to complete her report. The tone read a bit threatening using a lot of “I’s” and what she needed and not seeming very understanding in the end that he is a part of other projects and in meetings all day. It read as though Mark would be the one to blame if her deadline was missed.

In the voicemail message, my interpretation completely changed because I could hear the tone of voice so I am not misinterpreting how the message was meant to be conveyed. It appeared less threatening and more understanding and trying to work with Mark to get the reports completed. She seems to emphasize the importance of his report and how it will help her complete her report. I still do not like the wording about how she may miss her report’s deadline if she doesn’t get his; however, I did take it this time as more of a sense of urgency than thinking Jane would blame Mark if she misses her deadline.

In the face-to-face message, my interpretation didn’t change too much from the voicemail. The benefit of this was seeing her body language and how friendly she was making her appear to be more approachable. She conveyed that she needs his report to finish hers (still having a sense of urgency) and truly willing to accept it in many different formats, whatever was easiest for him.

Out of the three variations in delivering the message, the one that conveyed the true meaning and intent of the message to me was face-to-face. The voicemail worked well for me too, but I think seeing how approachable she was in person, helped take away any threatening tones. Her communication in person was the most effective also because her attitude, body language, and tone influenced her message in a positive way (Stolovitch, n.d.). If I were working on a project with her, I would be more willing to take time out of my busy day, finish up my report (if that hasn’t already been done), and send it to her as soon as I could.

From this exercise, I saw how not every message should be conveyed via e-mail. E-mail is our primary form of communication these days and I know I forget how important it can be to just walk over to someone’s desk and meet them face-to-face or at least a phone call if they are not nearby to talk to in person. If e-mail is the only way to send the message, Dr. Stolovitch (in his video Communicating with Stakeholders) presents some key information to keep in mind:

- Begin with a clear purpose

- State the situation

- Include possible solutions

- Indicate if a sign off is required

- Specify the form that the response is required to take

- Keep tone of all communications business friendly and respectful

I also learned that my tone (in e-mail or in person) has a big influence as to how people will take my message. I tend to appear stand-offish to people when really I am more than willing to help. Therefore, my tone and body language need to convey my willingness to provide assistance when needed and not convey that I may be annoyed or bothered by the request. Dr. Stolovitch’s video and this exercise have helped me see why some colleagues aren’t as open to coming to me when they need to and that is on me, not them. In addition, I have learned that in any form of communication (written, voicemail, or face-to-face), it is essential to keep your audience in mind and avoid any ambiguity in the message so there is clear communication to all involved. This is especially critical when working on a project team so that there isn’t any miscommunication on people’s responsibilities, deadlines, scope creep, any changes, any issues, etc. An important question to ask before deciding on how to convey the message is “How is the best way of communicating this message so its true meaning is conveyed?” I will certainly be asking myself that question from now on so that the intent of my message comes across clear.


References

Stolovitch, H. (n.d.). Communicating with Stakeholders. Laureate Education, Inc. Retrieved November 15, 2010, from http://sylvan.live.ecollege.com/ec/crs/default.learn?CourseID=4603378&Survey=1&47=6260654&ClientNodeID=984650&coursenav=1&bhcp=1

4 comments:

  1. Hi Teri-

    I agree with you that the face-to-face delivery of the message conveyed the true meaning and intent of the message. While I use email as my primary method of communication at work and even with my friends, there are some messages that just need to be conveyed in person.

    I can completely relate to how comfortable we have become with email. There are times I will be sitting at my desk, typing an email to one of the faculty who has an office right down the hall from me, and I think to myself, 'Why am I emailing him?'! Emailing just comes so naturally, we often do not think about using a different method!

    I agree that tone has a major impact on how a message is interpreted. As one article states, "Consider the powerful effect that tone of voice can have on the meaning of a sentence. When said in a strong tone of voice, listeners might interpret approval and enthusiasm. The same words said in a hesitant tone of voice might convey disapproval and a lack of interest" (Cherry, 2010).

    I also agree how important it is to avoid ambiguity regardless of the method used to communicate the message. My current supervisor is the Chair of the engineering and construction sciences department at our college. He is a wonderful man; the best boss I have ever had, and I truly mean that! He is also extremely intelligent, but he has difficulty delivering clear and concise messages. We all joke that his brain is moving so fast, his mouth/hands (depending on how he sends the message) cannot keep up! It can get especially tricky when he is providing information that we need in order to complete a task or project. Clear and concise messages are definitely an important factor for effective communication.

    Thank you for sharing your perceptions!

    References:

    Cherry, K. (2010). Types of nonverbal communication. Retrieved from http://psychology.about.com/od/nonverbalcommunication/a/nonverbaltypes.htm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teri:

    I can relate to your statement regarding appearing to people to be standoffish. I never thought of myself this way until someone mentioned it to me. It was at a previous employer of mine. After I had worked there for a few weeks, I was talking with one of my co-workers, and he said that I was not at all how he thought I was. He said from my tone, that I came off as not wanting to be bothered and not friendly. I remember that night, asking my wife if my co-worker's perception of me surprised her as it did me, and she said no, it did not. She said that I tend to send out nonverbal cues of being unapproachable. It was not until that time that I realized how important it is to set the right tone when communicating, whether verbally or nonverbally.

    According to one article (The Institute for Management Excellence, 1997):

    -Words are 7% effective
    -Tone of voice is 38% effective
    -Non-verbal clues are 55% effective (includes body language, facial expressions, and emotions of sender and receiver).

    As the author of this article explains, "WHAT you say is not nearly as important as HOW you say it!" (The Institute for Management Excellence, 1997).

    Honestly, I still have to work at conveying the right tone and nonverbal cues, but I am certainly more aware of how these factors affect my communication with others.


    References

    The Institute for Management Excellence. (1997, August). Communication methods. Retrieved from http://www.itstime.com/aug97.htm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Teri,

    I’m glad you mention email tone in your blog. Tone means everything. I have to watch my tone in different types of written communication. I catch myself using the same tone whether it is business or casual. Rudick and O’Flanhaven gives some good tips for e-mail etiquette.
    1. Keep cool; use words carefully
    2. Choose an approriate greeting and closing
    3. Use personal pronouns
    4. Write in the active voice
    5. Order information to maintain a professional tone
    Check out their site. Set The Tone In E-Mail: How You Say It IS As Important As What You Say @ http://www.hodu.com/email-tone.shtml

    Great Blog
    Patty

    Reference
    Rudick, M. & O'Flahavan, L. (2010). Set The Tone In E-Mail: How You Say
    It IS As Important As What You Say. Retrieved from http://www.hodu.com/email-tone.shtml

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Teri,

    Your post made me go back and reevaluate the idea of being standoffish. I thought back to a few times where teachers have asked me todo something or told me todo something and they did it both looking over a small barrier like the one in the video and also right in front of me. Body language plays a key roll in interpertuing the way a person feels. I found soemone who ask me todo something for them at school that leans over a barrier or is actually leaning on something tends to be more approachable compared to the person who had their hands on their hips and is wanting answers (not a fan of those).

    I always have to work on my tone because I am always hearing that I am very monotone sometimes. So for me when I email a parent I show my excitement more because I can use explination marks and when I talk to them in person sometimes my excitment does not come across as I want it too..

    ReplyDelete